Sunday, April 17, 2011

Anybody want to join me?

So, I'm in a bit of a rut when it comes to healthy habits.  I need a little pressure.  Especially now that I just bought tickets to go to Hawaii this fall, I'd like to be in good enough shape to do all the cool things I want to do there.

Last year, Daniel participated with the Young Men in a healthy habits challenge to get them ready for the big 50 mile hike.  I did it with him, and it made me feel great.  Unfortunately, it's tough for me to offer myself a prize and take it seriously.  Since we did that last year, I've seen several variations on the same idea being used by groups of people to motivate each other.

I'm just putting feelers out to see if anyone might be interested in participating.  The habits include things like eating 5 fruits and veggies, exercising for 20 minutes, drinking water, sleeping for 7 hours, not eating sweets, etc.  In some versions you get one point for everything, in other versions you get more points for the harder things, like exercising.

In all versions, there are accommodations for making exceptions occasionally.

I am proposing that we all chip in some amount of money ($10 - $15) to participate.  We will then do the activities and keep our scores for about 3 months.  At the end of that time, the top 2-3 point winners will win a percentage of the pot.  Obviously, there are options, so we can decide some things definitively once I know if anyone will do it with me.

This is an activity I'd like to open up to the derby girls and the dudes.  And since this can all be done via email, it doesn't matter where any of us live.  I would love to compete with Dale to get us both doing these things, but it's not that inspiring for us to each chip in money and one of us win it.  It's pretty much all the same money anyway.

Feel free to comment here if you'd like and/or we can discuss it at lunch on Tuesday.  I am anxious to start something soon.  You'd think that if it's important to me I could do it just because it's a good thing to do, but a little competition seems to help!

Thanks for reading!  I'll be curious to see if anyone wants to join.

2 comments:

  1. Sure, I'd be game. I could use some motivation in the exercise category for sure. I'll try and talk my family into it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 weeks of vacation and I need to be in the contest too!

    ReplyDelete